Create a single shared Google doc in your team drive for the class assignment and upload a pdf (or a link ) to the corresponding inclass assignment on Gauchospace at the end of the class.
Below is an outline for the small group paper discussion in class. Please do not work ahead. Move on to the next step only when Prof. Mirza instructs you to do so.
- Designate a discussion leader. The discussion leader's role is to make sure that you are on track with your discussion, and that everyone actively contributes to the discussion. Ensure that one person (including the discussion leader!) is not dominating the conversation and that no one is quiet. Everyone's voices must be heard. (2 mins)
- Discuss the answers to the questions you responded to for your assignment today (15 mins) Specifically, discuss the following questions:
- What problem(s) is the work trying to solve?
- What is the proposed solution and why is it new? What is the main contribution of the work? How does it relate to and improve on what has been done before?
- How do the authors show that their approach works? Do you believe their evidence? Is there anything that you feel like they could show better?
- During this discussion, keep track of questions you had and help each other out where you can, but do not get distracted trying to answer every doubt.
- Now it's time to dive into the technical details and answer the questions/doubts that you had. (25 mins)
- Have each group member list the major things that they did not understand. Have someone record these doubts.
- As each group member is speaking, other members can chime in and try to help explain the concepts where they can.
- After everyone has contributed as much technical knowledge as they can, it's time to seek external help. Go to the internet and try to figure out as much as you can about all remaining questions/doubts. You can work on your own or with other members of your group.
- Touch base again about the overall approach the paper took. What makes sense now that did not make sense before? What are you still missing? (10 mins)
- Create a list of questions for you advisor based on any doubts that remain from the paper. Create a common research log in your team drive. Record these questions on a page linked form your group research log page. If you don't have your group log page set up, set it up now. (15 mins)